Spring greens with lemon is ideal for a side dish. Spring greens belong to the brassica family, whose prodigious health benefits are well documented. They provide you with a seriously useful amount of vitamin C, to support your immune system, and vitamin K, to build bone strength.
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 500g spring greens
- Grate the lemon zest onto a chopping board, then transfer to a jam jar.
- Then ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼cut the lemon in half.
- ￼￼￼Squeeze half the juice into the jar (remove any pips) (keep the remaining lemon for another recipe).
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to the jar with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper.
- Put the lid securely on the jar and shake well.
- Have a taste and see if need to add anything
- Half-fill a large saucepan with cold water and add a tiny pinch of salt.
- Place on a high heat and bring to the boil. Meanwhile…
- Trim and cut the spring greens in half lengthways, then finely slice them.
- Once the water is boiling, carefully add the spring greens and cook for 3 to 4 minutes,
or until tender but still bright green in colour.
- Once cooked, drain the spring greens over the sink into a colander, steam dry for a minute, then toss back into the pan.
- Give the dressing another good shake up, then drizzle it over the greens.
- Using tongs, gently toss the spring greens in the dressing while they’re still hot to help them soak up all the dressing, then transfer to a bowl and serve straight away.