Serves: up 12
- 100g sugar (prefer unrefined sugar)
- 125g butter (unsalted butter)
- 1 egg
- 225ml treacle (option)
- 300g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 250ml hot water
Prep:25min › Cook:1hr › Extra time:10min › Ready in:1hr35min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- Grease and flour a baking tin.
- Cream the sugar and butter in a large bowl. Beat in the egg, and mix in the treacle.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water.
- Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin before serving.
Please follow and like us: