Serves: up 12
Prep:25min › Cook:1hr › Extra time:10min › Ready in:1hr35min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- Grease and flour a baking tin.
- Cream the sugar and butter in a large bowl. Beat in the egg, and mix in the treacle.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water.
- Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin before serving.