Dum Chicken Masala is a very rich, aromatic and flavourful dish, chicken cooked in its own juices combined with lot of spices, almonds and cream in slow cooking method.
- Chicken, curry cut with bones -1 kg
- Thick Curd/Yoghurt- 200 gms
- Onions, sliced fine – 3 medium onion
- Ginger garlic paste – 4 tsp
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup To be roasted & ground to a paste: Cashew nuts – 10 – Almonds -10 – Fresh Coconut pieces – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 3/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 3 tsp
- Coriander Powder-2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder- 2 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- Saffron – few strands soaked in 2 tbsp of warm milk
- Juice of lemon -1 tbsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt- 2 tsp or to taste
- Green Chillies, slit- 2
- Fry the sliced onions in oil till golden brown. Remove, cool & crush lightly with your hands.
- Dry-roast the cashew nuts, almonds & coconut pieces in a pan. Once cooled, grind to a paste in a mixie/ blender, coarse grind it first and then add 3 tbsp water to blend it into a smooth paste.
- Soak saffron strands in 2 tbsp of warm milk for 30 mins.
- Marinate the chicken with all ingredients other than oil and slit green chillies – Mix well & set aside in room temperature for 90 mins.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the slit green chillies. Give a stir and add the marinated chicken in the pan.
- Arrange it in a single layer with a spatula and cook on high heat for 2 mins.
- Now cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook covered on low heat for 30 mins opening the lid and stirring every 10 mins till chicken is tender and oil separates.