- 1 cup Indian basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Place the rice in medium bowl and add water. Using your hands, gently swish the grains to release any excess starch. Carefully pour off the water, leaving the rice in the bowl. Repeat four times, or until the water runs almost clear. Using a fine mesh strainer, drain the rice.
- add water and rice in a pan (salt to taste), bring to boil, then cover and reduce the heat to lowest setting for 12 minutes.
- turn the heat once the water is absorbed, Fluff the rice with a fork and serve
- Add butter if you want
- The rice can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- (Putting it in a flat layer in sealable plastic bags works well as it will take up less space in the freezer.)
- No need to thaw before reheating; remove it from the freezer and reheat in the microwave with 1 to 2 Tbsp. of water.